Friday, August 6, 2010

bragging rights?

I don't like to brag, but today I am going to brag. I am so proud of both of my boys. They are both super smart, WAY handsome (imho) and they are both doing GREAT in sports.

Jonah made the ELITE soccer team this year. He had to try out and he made the team. For him that was a HUGE deal. To his momma that was a huge deal. He has gone through summer soccer camp and is now onto regular practice. He seems to be learning alot and enjoying himself. He looks so great out on the field.

What I really wanted to brag about today though is Noah. Noah is playing football again this year. This is year two for him. Last year he barely got any playing time in the games. Especially after he almost made a touchdown for the other team! :) He didn't put a lot of effort into it and didn't really try. He enjoyed himself - but he just didn't know nearly enough about the game.

I was a little concerned shoveling out over $200 for him to play this year if he was going to do the same thing. But I did it because I thought it would give him a chance to meet and make new friends before he started at a new school. So to me, that alone was worth it.

Before practices started, his coaches asked the parents to have the boys start conditioning. The first day was horrendous. There was threatening, begging, promising and crying (and that was just me, he was worse!) We had several talks about pushing yourself and yatta yatta. I found out on his fourth practice that he sat out during the entire practiced on the third day. I was very upset and frustrated. This time I had had it. So we sat down did a lot of talking and lecturing. I made sure that I have been at every practice at least part of it so he can't just sit out. BUT.... the other day he was scrimmaging with his team and he was in the game. He messed up and had to sit out the rest of the game. On the way home we were talking about it and he said that it was ok because he learned from it. That he was going to improve on his game and not make that mistake again. That was on Wednesday. On Thursday, we pulled into the parking lot and this was our conversation:

Noah: I don't really want to go to practice today but I am going.
Me: Yes you will be going Noah. You have to if you want to play in the game Sunday
Noah: I know Mom. I don't really want to go today cuz I don't feel good, but I want to give my 110% and push myself so I can play. Everytime I come to practice I am learning something new. Sometimes about the game and sometimes about me.
Me: (holding back the tears) Noah you are such a great kid and you make me so proud when I hear you say things like that. I love you so much.
Noah: love you too mom - gotta get to practice I am already late.
Me: LOL - getting going and show them what you are made of!

I was so so so proud of him. Maybe all of my talking was actually getting through to him! I left to take Jonah to soccer practice. And I went to buy Noah an UnderArmor shirt to reward him. When I got to Noah's practice they were scrimmaging against another team. Noah was in the game. I watched him and he tackled his kid each time and didn't let his kid go. When we got finished I was asking him how it went. He was so excited and so proud. He said he played in the entire scrimmage and is pretty sure he earned his spot in the starting line up for both offense and defense! He was so proud. I am so proud. He kept talking about what it was like pushing himself and that it made him feel good. What a great kid.

I am so proud of you Noah!

Love,
your mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter