Saturday, May 16, 2009

A True Experience

I began my day hating myself for signing up. I had to get up at 6am. I had to get the kids up at 6am. What in the world was I thinking?

We got up. We showered and dressed. We stopped for breakfast. We pulled into the parking lot. Typical full parking lot at crossroads. We walked in. I can't tell you the mass numbers of people walking around. All in white t shirts with large red stickers on. It was so unbelievable. I felt like I was in the pit of the stock exchange. It was so amazing. All of these people. All here for the same reason. All here to serve Cincinnati in a way that is unprecedented.

We found our way to our assigned project. It was a room in the kids club. Not too many people. We got the details, the boys played a few minutes. Then it was off to the auditorium for a quick praise and worship. I wish I could describe to you the feeling there was in the room. The room was packed with over 5,000 (yes 5,000+) volunteers, there to serve cincinnati. But not just to serve Cincinnati. But to serve as witnesses of Jesus. To serve for God. To serve for their beliefs. The energy was unbelievable. The boys were even feeling it. The smiles on their faces. The wiggle in their hips. It was all very clear. That six am wake up call - it was all going to be worth it.

We all left to head to our projects. If you can imagine 5,000+ people all leaving at the same time with no police direction - it took a while in the parking lot. I didn't hear one honk. Didn't notice one angry driver. We were all thrilled to be doing what we were doing.

Our assignment was to put on a carnival at a church in OTR for the children of the community. Noah and Jonah volunteered us for the castle bounce. One of the large blow up/bounce things. Yeah. Won't be volunteering to do that again :) Although, I saw smiles on those children's faces that could have lit the darkest night right up. They laughed and jumped and laughed and jumped. They were having a great time. I asked one little boy if he was having a good time. He said this is my best good time I have ever had. It was heart melting. One little boy didn't want to leave without giving me the biggest hug I have received in a very long time (I think my boys owe me one :) ) We had several games, craft tables and activities plus we feed them all. I have never seen children eat so many hotdogs in one sitting with such big smiles on their faces. I would have not traded this day for anything in the world. Then it was time to go. But our day wasn't over.

As we were leaving the original service that morning, David Falk (owner of Boca's and Nadas (my fav)), annouced that he had recruited 9 top Cincinnati chefs and they were going to feed all of the volunteers AND the community for free. He said "This is what you call being in the weeds". They were going to set everything up in Washington Park. In OTR. For you Cincinnatians you know what that means. For those not from around here - that is probably one of poorest/ highest crime rate communities in Cincinnati. I thought we could just drive right there, park, get out, get some food and go. I was so wrong. Of course I was so wrong. How were they going to get over 5,000 people parked and into the park with only street parking available. There were streets blocked off and police directing traffic. We were having to drive down little side streets where the traffic was backed up as far as I could see. With cars parked on the side as far as I could. These streets probably haven't EVER seen this type of traffic. The residents were passing by - just staring. Staring in confusion.

We found a parking spot. We walked. And we walked and we walked. We finally made it. We stood in a very long line for an incredibly short amount of time. They were serving people so quickly there was barely a wait. We had the worlds best macaroni and cheese, collard greens and pulled roast beef. It was good. But the best part of the entire thing was that all of these people, all of these volunteers were sitting down with the community of OTR. We were having conversations and getting to know some of these people, that in our every day lives we would have never have gotten to know or heard their stories. It was such an amazing opportunity for me and the boys to experience. It was just awesome sitting back and watching the interactions (I am so much a people watcher) and looking at the smiles on peoples faces. I can't describe it. I don't believe the best writer could describe what happened today.

I pray that this day has affected people's lives in ways that none of us could ever imagine. I know God's work was delivered today.

I can't wait until next year. Let me know if you want to join me at 6 am next year.

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter